Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book Review: Project Death: Resurrection by Danielle Thamasa

Now, it's no secret that Danielle and I are best friends. That being said, I tried to be as neutral as I could when I reviewed her book. This is the review I posted on Goodreads with some elaboration.

I should begin by saying I had the added benefit of getting to help with some editing on the first few chapters. Being a friend of the author, I've been aware of the general storyline for a while.

Resurrection is a good book. It's a unique premise in several ways, especially a story about Resurrectors. You can find stories or plots about the Angel of Death, but you never hear the other side of it. Having a decent plot, particularly one that is unique, is a great stepping stone. I've found that the characters can be so-so in terms of development if they have a good plot. But if the plot and character development is lacking, than the book usually isn't good. Luckily, Resurrection had a really interesting plot that kept me reading, even when the characters bugged me.

The growth and change of the lead character Tamesis is interesting, although at some points jumpy and almost out of place, particularly towards the end of the book. She is a somewhat cliched character. A girl who has always felt out of place and has special powers, and finally she finds where she belongs. I am often the first person to roll my eyes at the special snowflake character, but I actually enjoyed, for the most part, Tamesis. She is special, but for a legit reason.


While the character of Thanos is predictable in most ways, I can honestly say I did not expect his secret at the end! I had wondered and wondered through the whole book, but that was not the conclusion I had come to. A good twist, I think.

My main problem with the book is that the character development of many of the supporting characters falls really flat. That can be attributed to two things: one, the POV is done in first person so you're only getting Tamesis' view of the world. and two, the obvious choice of the writing being a little underdone. That is often seen, however, in books with several supporting characters. The main characters are done well enough that it's a bit frustrating to see many of the other characters fall by the wayside. Just something to keep in mind for the future books.

Overall, I did enjoy the book and I'm quite looking forward to the next one! I definitely recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment