Monday, March 11, 2013

Getting organized

So recently my parents and I switched rooms. They are now down in the basement and I'm now in the master bedroom. Sounds great, but it's a tight fit for me. I don't even have all of my things in my room, that's how little space I have. I'm mostly waiting to have money so I can buy new shelving so I can get stuff up and out of the way. I need to go through my boxes and actually get rid of the things I don't want/need. But there's always that voice in the back of my head telling me that I might need it one day! I wish that voice would get lost. I finally got my schedule for my first project for work. The bad news is that I don't go back to work until April 15th. I had been hoping to get on the 6-week project that starts on March 24th, but I guess I was too far down the list. Maybe next year. The good news is I'm working the day shift, so I'll be getting a really nice paycheck. Of course the downside to working 8 hours a day (plus the hour of driving), is that means less time to work on my writing. I've just begun the first edits of my book Farther Side of Away. I'm still working on a summary. Condensing an idea to just a few sentences has never been easy for me. I once wrote a really stellar summary for FSOA, but I didn't save it. I'm still kicking myself for that. I've also started rewriting the first couple of chapters. An online friend that is helping me edit, suggested not giving the big reveal of Adam & Eve in the first chapter. So I'm rewriting it and I'm going to leave the reveal for the second or third chapter. It depends on how much I'm able to add. I started writing a new book, The Lonely Mountain, which has zombies in it. I'm not very far into it, mostly because I've gotten caught up with the editing of FSOA. I'd like to have FSOA done by April so I can self-publish it. We'll see. This week is my mom's 58th birthday and my present to her is cooking dinner every night this week. So that's going to keep me busy (I'm cooking a full chicken on thursday). The weather is crap here, which makes me feel like crap. I find it hard to write lately. I just haven't been as inspired to write and I keep getting distracted by other things. I need an office. Somewhere I can shut the door and just write. As of now, my desk is my room, which is where my cats are. No luck at shutting the door on the world. But I make do. You've got to start somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I completely know what you mean about needing an office. I feel the same way all the time. Really, what I need is a change of scenery, to get out of the house for a few days where I can just focus on writing. A writer's retreat would be wonderful. If only I had money to follow through with that.

    ReplyDelete